Thursday, June 23, 2011

Annual Member's Exhibit: 20/20


Another summer is here!  Although the weather is determined to convince us otherwise, the plants are defying the odds and turning green, the grass is growing, and that means the Annual Member's exhibit is once again upon us.  This is the 20th Anniversary of the Craft Council Gallery, and so the theme for this year's show is 20/20, with the idea of the submissions reflecting a vision of where we're headed as individual craftspeople.  The pieces I have in this year's show are a reflection of some of the brand new skills I've acquired during my studies in Haliburton, and are a glimpse of my intention to take my work up a notch to a new level of professionalism.  I'm really pleased with these pieces, they are truly one-of-a-kind.  And I'm thrilled to have them included in this year's exhibit alongside the work of so many truly talented and inspiring craftspeople.  The exhibit opens this Saturday, June 25th at 2pm and runs until September 4th.  Drop down and visit! http://www.craftcouncil.nl.ca/news/2011-annual-members-exhibit/

Meanwhile, I'm keeping busy in my studio with a commission for a 25th wedding anniversary.  It's keeping me on my toes.  Commissions seem to be a great way to step outside my "box" and make something different, and in the process, I'm tackling things from new angles and finding exciting possibilities for future projects as well.

I'm also working on components for an open studio collaboration I'll be doing with Alexis Templeton at her studio on July 8th & 9th.  I'll post more about that next week....  Should be lots of fun!


And I'll leave you with two links that are exciting me today.  The first I will peruse in more detail as time permits.  It's called the National Parks Project, and is a joint undertaking between musicians and filmmakers that focuses on  many of our beautiful national parks. http://www.nationalparksproject.ca/

And the other link is to a nifty little house-ish structure that would make a great studio (my second choice studio since stumbling upon the  Tiny House Blog, the first choice was a straw bale construction).  I think I'd need a cat with a crooked tail to go with it though!  http://tinyhouseblog.com/stick-built/rustic-way-whimsical-house/

No comments:

Post a Comment