Thursday, November 6, 2014

Crying "Baubles! and Linos! for sale, for sale oh"!


The Big Season is upon us! 

I’ve been working hard on my submissions to the Comfort& Joy exhibit.  Here’s a couple of sneak peeks (above, and at right).  This exhibition runs November 29th – December 19th at the Gallery of the Craft Council of Newfoundland& Labrador.  Always an impressive array of fine craftsmanship, it is sure to put you in the spirit!

Between now and Christmas, there are four venues where I will be selling my wares in person. 

At three of them I will be selling my jewellery (and my beaded wire trees if I can find room to incorporate them into my booth).  I’ve made a lot of brand new work this year, using etched antique maps, tree branches, and barnacles.

Come and find me with my jewellery at the following locations:

·      Craft Council Christmas Craft Fair, November 20th – 23rd at the Art & Culture Centre.
·      Quidi Vidi Plantation Christmas Open House, December 6th (10-4), & 7th  (12-4).
·      Anna Templeton Tea & Sale, December 12th – 14th.

Exciting news this year is my foray into the world of printmaking! 

A few years ago I took an etching workshop to learn how printmakers etch so that I could bring some skills from a different artistic avenue back to my jewellery practice.  I love crossing disciplines with technique in this way – I find it gives me a fresh angle to tackle my designs from. 

However, since that workshop I’ve wondered about trying out printmaking simply for the sake of printmaking.  Over this past year I’ve been excitedly exploring this new medium, and am thoroughly enjoying it!  The dilemma is that by its very nature, printmaking results in quite an output of prints (who knew!).  So, in the spirit of embracing my inner business-person, I thought I’d try selling some of these prints.  I’d love for them to find a home, and in the ultimate spirit of critique that is the public marketplace, I’ll learn if the prints I’m making appeal to others. 

I don’t have much in the way of teaser shots to show you; it turns out photographing two-dimensional prints is a whole different kettle of fish from photographing jewellery!  I will have to work on that.  This image is of a print I had in the Annual Member’s Exhibit at the Craft Council this summer.  Using a map that relates to the location of the image depicted in the print I hand-stitched topographical details as well as rivers and marshes into the paper.  It will be available for sale at The Printer’s Fair.  Please drop down and have a look at my latest endeavors:

·      The Printer’s Fair, November 16th, 11am – 4pm at the Rocket Room, upstairs from Rocket Bakery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment